CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Stephen and John at the ENT

I took Stephen to the ENT today. 
Jana came over and watched John, Thank you!!!  John napped and then they played outside- even built a snowman in the front yard! SO cute!!  I do need to get a picture of John with Mr. Snowman.  =)

Appointment re-cap:

Weight: 20lbs 4oz.
I took him to Dr. Malone and I really liked her! 
First they did a hearing test.  He failed it.  But, she wasn't surprised or concerned.  She said a few things...
1. He is young, and it is hard to get a 100% accurate result at his age.
2. He has fluid is his ears, so he probably can't hear, right now.
3. He has a double ear infection and a lot of wax build up.
I am not concerned about the hearing test. But, we will re-test him in a few months.

The ear exam:
Double ear infection, both ear drums very dull, no fever today, enlarged adenoids heavy breathing, (clear) nose drainage.

The plan:
Schedule surgery!
1. Remove adenoids
2. Put tubes in his ears.
3. Do a bronchial exam the day of surgery (before the actual surgery) to figure out why he has had pneumonia multiple times this winter.
4 re-test his hearing.

Dr. Malone said that this will hopefully resolve all (or at least most) his symptoms. 

Then, next week on Tuesday I am taking John to see Dr. Malone... she said if he is as sick as his records show I should plan on the same as above plus his tonsils out too. 
I am ONE with all the metro doctors.

** I took John to his appointment at the ENT on Thursday March 11, 2011(so my mom could watch Stephen- thank you mom!)
Dr. Malone said that John needs his adenoids out- ASAP!  She said that the are huge and it will help with his drooling and probably his speech too. (But mostly, his frequent fevers, swollen glands, runny nose, and heavy breathing)  I asked her if she would take his tonsils out too, as long as she was doing surgery... umm... NO. That question did not go over well at all!  She said that it would be "totally inappropriate" to take them out.  And, it was not up for discussion.  OK, I was just asking!  haha She went on to say, "that is why I am an ENT and you aren't!" Yikes!!  the best part is, I just asked one time... I am guessing she had been challenged by her last patient?? 
She also did a hearing test, John was not interested!  So, they did the newborn hearing test  that went much better!  John just had to sit there and be quiet.  It was over in less then a minute, and he passed! :)

Now, I just have to schedule their surgeries-  We are thinking May 20th....  But nothing is in stone.

0 comments: