CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, March 4, 2011

Happy Birthday Mom!!!!

It is my mom's birthday tomorrow, March 5th...  I am so thankful for her!!!

Dear Mom,


First things first, Happy Birthday!  I hope since your special day falls on the weekend, you will be able to rest, relax and celebrate! I also want to take this opportunity to to let you know how thankful I am for all you have done for me and my family. I know you are someone who doesn't wait by the mailbox everyday for thank you cards, but I wish I would have sent you more in the past 25 (!!) years-  You deserve them; many many of them. 

I can't begin to list all of the things I would like to thank you for in one note, but I will try and capture as many thoughts as I can.  I want to recognize that you have sacrificed so many things, events and experiences just for me.  Growing up you were always doing what ever I needed, and never what you needed.  Every time I needed (ok, wanted...) a ride, new clothes, an appointment scheduled, or help with my homework you were just waiting for me to ask; and sometimes I didn't even have to ask!  You were 100% available to me; a gift not all kids can say about their parents.

You are the most driven person I have ever met.  I could never hold a candle to the life you live.  You had 5 children within 5 years- yikes!  I have my hands full with the 2 I have.  You work full time and keep a perfectly clean house with everything always kept up.  I am so impressed that when ever I call you at work asking when you will be going home, you tell me "not until my work is done" - wow!  HealthEast is lucky to have you as a nurse.  I can't believe you work 12 hour days and don't even blink an eye at it. 

When I was a kid, you always made sure I always had everything I needed-  that has never gone overlooked.  I have always been very grateful for having you as my mom.  When I was in high school and dealing with a lot of medical junk you were always there for me, always.  I could always count on you to listen to me, make appointments for me, take me to them and help me through them.  This is something I will never forget.  I know that was a huge burden on our family-  I can't imagine the medical bills I racked up, and the trouble you went through to get off days, even weeks of work to be with me.  I felt like I always had your support and love.  It was a scary time in my life, a time I would never wish to re-live.  During the appointments, I wouldn't have been able to be as strong as I was, without you... telling me I had to be! haha But, all of the time and energy you put into my health has sure paid off.... 2 fold! ;) 

The day I found out we were pregnant with John, one of the first thoughts through my mind was now I can be her friend!!! Growing up, you always told me, I am not your friend, I am your mom.  When I became a mom, I felt a sense of "graduation" I could finally be your friend!  I do understand why you would say that, but I also am thankful for our friendship now.  You are the best mom, I look up to you more then you could imagine. Many times when I am having a difficult parenting moment, I think what would you do, mom? I guess, wisdom must come with age!  ;) 

I hope you don't actually go over to the apartment today and clean!!  Please, enjoy your day-  You have earned it!!!  Take a break, do it for me!  :)


I love you, mom! 
Caroline
XXOOXXOOXXOOXXOOXXOOXXOOXXOOXXOOXXOOXXOOXXOO

3 comments:

Katie K

This is a beautiful post, and much deserved my auntie Mitzi. Much love from Boston on your special day!!!

Maggie

Caroline, You brought tears to my eyes, and reminded me of so many of the reasons I too love your mom. She is, and always has been a solidly supportive, loving and honest sister-in-law, and I won't go trying to resay what you have put so well... Thanks for being such a great niece, too! Love you all, Maggie

Caroline

Thank you Katie and Maggie! It was really nice to write her this tribute- She deserves it! :)
I just hope she has seen it?!