CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, April 3, 2011

MOM Lead Weaning

** Probably more information that you would like to know**  But, something I want for my "records" ....

Please, catch your breath!  To all my biggest critics out there:  until you are my size, you cannot judge that I am ready to be done nursing.
I know that many of you are thinking, you have made it 10 months, what's another 2??  8 weeks of torture for me!  On Saturday, I went shopping with my cousin Miranda, her son Jack and my aunt Connie- what a blast!!!  As I was getting ready to go, I realized that I haven't worn a bra in over 2 weeks! 
First, I don't have one that fits me- do you have any idea how hard it is to find a nursing bra in a size 36 **  ??  The ONLY place I can find them is at Bravo Bras- they custom make bras!  I have ordered over $1000 worth of bras from online boutiques that say they have "bigger sizes"... so far none of them have been my size (I have had to return them all).  However, I can find tons of bras in my size that are not nursing.  I did buy one of these for a pretty penny, the problem is that I can never nurse SJ in public then.  I have to go take the bra off and then nurse.  It is a mess, especially when I have John with me!  And, no I can't just "pull the bra down" there are no "cute" bras in my size- it is only full-coverage yuck!
Secondly, I have bad back pain.  I have been seeing a chiropractor for about 3 months now.  Well, I have been seeing one since I got pregnant with John, but for the last three months I have been going 1-3 times a week.  Being done nursing would decrease my size and I would be able to find a bra that fits and would give me the support I need.
This will also make exercising so much easier-  I love running and I catch myself running at the gym holding myself! Umm... not a great look, not comfortable, and not a good way to work out!
Why do I need to defend myself?! :(
I am a huge breastfeeding supporter- HUGE, HUGE, HUGE.  But, I also believe that I have given breastfeeding a good, fair run.  I had mastitis on and off for 7 months.  I did push through that and succeeded!  I am now just not interested/out of $$ to spend on more custom made bras-- do you have any idea what those cost?!  I am very proud of what I went through to nurse Stephen for 10 months, and I do deserve a pat on the back for that.  :)  In the ideal world, I would love to nurse him until he is 18 months.  That would be wonderful!  But that is just the farthest thing for reality for me. 

So, how is the weaning going???  Well, Stephen is really not that interested- shocked huh?! haha
I have tried breast milk, whole milk, water and formula from a bottle/sippy/cup and the only thing he will drink is whole cow milk (cold) from a cup.  UGH.  That just isn't going to work!!  He cannot have cow milk (as a main source of "milk") until he is 12 months.  I thought *if* I could get him to drink *anything* from *anything* I could start to cut it with formula and he would be fine.  Well, as soon as I add formula to anything, he freaks!  I am SOOO bummed that all my BM thawed a couple months ago- I had pumped and saved enough milk to last about 2-3 months.  I would have been golden.  AHH. 

We shall see how this goes this week as I try to wean little Stephen. 

3 comments:

Katie K

Rather than send you an email as I normally do, I wanted to publicly tell you that I support your decision, don't judge and don't need you to defend yourself.

You know that I am as "pro-breastfeeding" as you are, but I think it is SO important to recognize the challenges faced by women when it comes to breastfeeding. Whether it's public embarrassment because people somewhere along the line forgot that bf is normal and healthy and beautiful. Or because they struggle with producing milk, or because they have extreme back pain or mastitis or other challenges that impact quality of life, mom's health and mom's ability to be present for her kiddos.

These challenges are legitimate, and bravo to you for pushing through 7 months of mastitis!!! That is no small feat, and you should be so proud of yourself. You really should. And Stephen is so lucky that you stuck with it for as long as you did.

I am very proud of you and sending you love, hugs and support. :)

Katrina

Good job breastfeeding as long as you did! You did a great thing for him and don't make yourself feel like you need to defend not doing it a "full year". I stopped at 11 months, which I realize people would have said "why not one more month??" and it was honestly that I couldn't do THAT and everything else anymore. People who haven't breastfed exclusively don't fully understand how much of a committment it really is. Good for you! Good luck weaning... Jace's favorite bottle was always the playtex drop ins nursers and his favorite sippy cups were always the take n toss ones.

Cyndi

You know I think you're a superhero for dealing with that mastitis for so long! You have done and will continue to do a perfect job with those guys!!