CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, December 26, 2011

THE POLAR EXPRESS!

I have heard from many people how when we are in Arizona we need to go to the Polar Express near Flagstaff, AZ. After realizing that tickets to the PE are sold out way in advance, I bought some off of CL from a lady in AZ.
We left Sedona around 1pm for our 5:30 boarding time. We knew we would be very early, but we would need to stop for a bathroom break, dinner, and a Target stop for a couple things (laundry detergent, lotion etc.) We got directions from the concierge at Seven Canyons.... who is clearly a native to Sedona area. His directions consisted of us driving through the canyons!!! I will be the first to admit it, I was freaking out. The drop off on my side of the car were enough that I was sick to my stomach, I caught myself holding my breath as we rounded most of the edges. Actually, for the most part, I had a no one talks rule while Ryan drove. I made it clear that we would be taking any other way home-- long, short, I didn't care. I just wanted free-way! HA
The drive up to Flag was very tense and we never did make our planned stops. We were in Williams at the PE before we knew it. So, we had a (fancy) meal from The Golden Arches and headed for the train. As we looked for parking, Ryan and I quickly noticed that almost all of the kids had their jammies on (even some of the parents- and, yes, that was too extreme for me! lol) We had them wearing matching Christmas sweaters.... and they didn't every even notice they weren't wearing jams like everyone else. :) I ran in and got our tickets while the boys finished eating. We all did quick potty breaks and then headed for the train!
We were in car C and we had 2 chefs -- clearly they got the memo that they were going to have a rowdy train car! We were surrounded by so many great families, and we weren't the only one from out of state, there was a family from Georgia, Tennessee, etc. We sang a couple Christmas songs, were served (huge) cookies, hot cocoa, saw Rudolph fly by, went through a magical tunnel, read the book, The Polar Express and finally made it to the North Pole!! We waved at everyone, saw where candy canes are made and then Santa visited all the kids! He gave every good child a bell. Yes, John and Stephen both got one. ;)
We really had a wonderful time. Seeing the excitement in the kids’ eyes was the best part for all the parents. The kids got to be kids ... not one was shhhing them, telling them to sit, or be quiet. They got to stand on their seats so they could see, laugh loudly, (and there were many tears from the little ones too!) But everyone was in the Christmas spirit, and no one got raddled by the pure chaos.
If you plan to be near Flagstaff/Williams, AZ ever during Christmas--- this is something you don't want to miss!!!!! I give it a 5 star rating! :)
Mom and John on the Polar Express

Mom, Stephen and Bup on the Polar Express

Huge, Huge cookies!

ONLY on the PE do they SUGGEST  the kids climb on the seats... :)

Santa visited us!  He gave the boys bells. 
SJ was a bit confused, but John knew the meaning, he was pumped!


As the train was getting closer to the station, the noise level on the train was quickly getting louder and louder. It was less of the laughter and playing, and more of the crying and whining. By the time the train stopped, our kids were both a hot mess. We each took a kid and bee-lined it to our car.
As soon as the van started, the panic set in for the canyon road we probably needed to drive on. We couldn't simply mapquest directions on our phone-- there is no reception, and if you did get some it was spotty (not reliable). We were lost after the first 30 miles. Ryan stopped for gas and I ran across the street to a hotel to find directions. The lady assured me that the only way back to Sedona was through the canyon. She could tell my face was green with fear, and tried to give me a pep talk about how we would be fine! Then we went to Walmart down the street, I got the things we needed and a snack for the boys --so they would be eating and not talking -- while Ryan drove and I panicked.
We got instantly turned around. And were lost almost before we started out. We stopped at a (very small town) gas station and got the head nod that we were headed in the right direction. We kept driving, every time the road had a decline, I (kind of...) kindly reminded Ryan to slow down!! He had enough of my reminders, and I just wanted out of the car. Eventually, I had some cell reception for about 2 minutes, and I thought we must be getting closer to the canyon road, so I called my mom to say that the road through the canyon lasted about 45 minutes, and I would call her when we got out-- if she didn't hear from me, she had my location and to send help!! (Extreme?? I still stand by my answer, NO.) She for sure thought I was nuts, Ryan thought I was nuts, and the boys weren't fazed by the car ride. We drove and drove for hours! We never did end up on the right road- lol. I was so relieved, but it did take us about 3.5 hours to drive a 1.5 hour drive. We clearly took the round-about way. I was so happy- I am not going to lie, I was beaming with happiness.
****The next day, on our way to Chapel Rock, we accidentally drove a little of the Canyon Road. As we were driving, it felt like squad car after squad car was passing us. Then, up ahead, we could see there was a commotion going on. A big SUV had gone over the canyon road the night before!!!! I just KNEW we shouldn't have driven on it! The SUV was almost in the shape of a ball, and was black from char. It was un-recognizable. Very scary for me-- I am not a fan of the roads that are sheer drop offs on the side. (**puke**) I was sick to my stomach seeing that SUV being pulled up over the canyon edge as we drove past. I said a prayer in my head that our family was safe and to send angels to the family/people that were riding in that SUV.

0 comments: